TOP SIX QUALITIES OF A GOOD HUSBAND – HOW TO BE A BETTER HUSBAND
All praise be to Allah.
In this post we will discuss some good qualities of an ideal husband.
A good husband should possess the following attributes:
1. He should be religiously committed. A person who fears Allah and obeys all the commandments of Allah, follows the Sunnah of Muhammad (peace be upon him) should be given preference. A person who fears Allah will never hurt his wife. Allah says in glorious Quran: And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe (in Allah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater, etc.), even though he pleases you.(2:221).
2. He should be able to support a family. It is not mandatory that a person must be a millionare but he should have sufficient wealth to support a family and provide for them. The Prophet said to Faatimah bint Qays , when she came to consult him about three men who had proposed marriage to her, “As for Mu’aawiyah, he is a poor man who has no wealth…” (Narrated by Muslim, 1480). From this we conclude that when Ftima bint-Qays came to consult Prophet about the three men who proposed to her, he told her that Mu’aawiyah is a poor man and is not ready to support a family.
3. He must be kind and loving. A righteous husband is kind and loving. He cares for his family and is patient towards them. The Prophet said to Faatimah bint Qays, in the hadeeth quoted above, “As for Abu Jaham, his stick never leaves his shoulder”, referring to the fact that he used to beat women a lot. We conclude that he (PBUH) told Faatimah bint-Qays that Abu Jahm is not patient towards women and used to beat women and a woman must look that her husband is kind and caring rather than marrying someone who is cruel to women.
4. Attractive and healthy. A healthy person must be preferred. It is good if he is the sound of body and healthy, free of faults, sickness, etc., and not disabled or sterile. The strong believer(in emaan and strength) is better and more beloved to Allâh than the weak believer, while there is good in both.
5. He must be knowledgeable. He may not be as knowledgeable as great scholars of Islam but he must possess sufficient knowledge of Deen to protect his family from hellfire and guide them to the right path. O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones (6:66)
6. He must be helping. A good husband should be patient, truthful, trustworthy and supportive. He must not consider women as slaves and disrespect their existence. Aisha, the wife of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), was asked, “What did the Prophet (ﷺ) use to do in his house?” She replied, “He used to keep himself busy serving his family (Bukhari) In another report Aisha was reported to have said, “He did what one of you would do in his house. He mended sandals and patched garments and sewed.” (Adab Al-Mufrad graded sahih by Al-Albani)